- 1½ lb lean ground beef
- 6-7 medium potatoes about 6-7 cups raw, chopped
- 3 carrots chopped about 2 1/2 cups raw, chopped
- 1 onion chopped about 1 cup
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans optional
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 6 tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 package beef gravy mix prepared as per instructions
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded optional
- Peel and cut potatoes; cook in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes, drain.
- Add butter, milk and mash; set aside.
- In large sauté pan add ground beef, salt, pepper and cook until browned. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Drain off all but about 1 tbsp. fat from sauté pan, add onions, carrots and garlic and cook until tender.
- Stir in beans, corn and peas. Cook for about 4-5 minutes (I usually add the beans and cook for a few minutes before adding peas and corn as they take a bit longer to cook.
- In the meantime prepare gravy mix as per package instructions.
- When gravy has thickened, stir in tomato paste and thyme.
- Add gravy mix into vegetable mix, then stir in ground beef and pour into 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potato mix, cover and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- (optional) Add shredded cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
OPEN NEXT PAGE TO CONTINUE …